Local artists looking to both make a name for themselves in the industry and contribute to a cause can look forward to the First AIDS Art Collab that will commence from the 8th of September till the 1st of October.
Organised by the newly-established youth arm of PT Foundation, the event is an art book and exhibition project that serves to raise awareness on the issue of HIV/AIDS in Malaysia. Selected submissions will be published into an art book that will be available for sale at an exhibition to be held during the World AIDs Day celebrations later this year. One deserving participant may also see his or her work implemented into the design of the official World AIDs Day Malaysia T-shirt.
In line with the spirit of the project, participants are to provide their own interpretations of the theme “AIDs and You(th)”. There will be no restrictions to the styles and genres permitted, whether it be fine art, contemporary art, pop art and even manga. Participants are also encouraged to include words of encouragement, support or advice to People Living with HIV (PLHIV) and their fellow peers.
To commemorate the 23rd anniversary of World AIDS Day, a different piece of artwork will be posted online everyday 23 days prior to the exhibition. Links to these artworks will be posted to PT Foundation’s official Facebook page, Twitter and blog.
The artworks will then be brought along on a campus roadshow tour to 5 prominent universities and colleges in the Klang Valley region in order to raise awareness of the issues around HIV/AIDS through youth participation and art. Attendees can also expect to find education sessions on HIV/AIDS and volunteer registration drives for the myriad programmes that the PT Foundation offers.
In keeping with tradition, this project is strictly non-profit with all proceeds to be channelled towards the PT Foundation to continue its efforts in providing HIV/AIDS education, prevention, care and support programmes, sexuality awareness and empowerment programmes for vulnerable communities in Malaysia.
The First AIDs Art Collab is open to all members of the public. All submissions are to be sent via email. For further information, visit the official website at http://www.ptfmalaysia.org or look for us on Facebook .
- This project is open to all members of the public.
- Participants are to provide their own interpretations of the theme “AIDs and You(th)”, and are encouraged to incorporate elements and/or symbolism relating to the theme.
- Multiple entries are allowed. In case of insufficient space in the art book, only one artwork will be selected for publishing.
- Please be informed that any artwork/s found offensive and/or unrelated to the spirit of the project will be disqualified.
- Artworks can be in black and white or colour. There are no limitations to the genres permitted, i.e. contemporary art, fine art, pop art, manga, comic, etc.
- Participants are encouraged to submit digital artwork (soft copy form). For traditional artwork (hard copy form), please scan it.
- Canvas size must be 2480px X 3508px or 21cm X 29.7cm in 300 dpi in either landscape or portrait.
- All participants are encouraged to attach words of encouragement and support for the cause, which will be published alongside their artwork. Your words may also be inserted into your entry.
- The judges' decision is final. Any form of complaint towards the judges and/or organizers will not be entertained.
- Please include your name or artist name in your email. Your age, occupation, place of work/study as well as links to your blog, website, DeviantArt and/or online contacts are completely optional.
- Please send all entries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for submission is the 1st of October 2011.